The New York Times Jan. 2016-Present
- News Assistant: assist various desks in The New York Times newsroom with web production and editing tasks.
- Briefings: Contributing writer on the Evening Briefings, the daily newsletter summarizing the top stories of the day, and Back Story team.
- Pagination: Page design and production for A1 and feature sections.
- Writing: stories featured in Metro, Styles, Real Estate and Smarter Living.
Freelance Writer/Editor 2008-Present
News and lifestyle features
- Edible Vineyard (Vineyard Haven, MA): Assistant editor, quarterly food magazine, feature stories and editing on farming, food and policy
- TakePart.com (New York, NY): TakePart World contributor, international development and women’s health
- Brooklyn Magazine (Brooklyn, NY): Culture, food and tech features
- New York Nonprofit Press (New York, NY): Social services coverage, state budget issues and features
- Martha’s Vineyard Magazine (Edgartown, MA): Regular lifestyle and features contributor
Vineyard Gazette (Edgartown, MA) 2010-2014
Weekly newspaper and daily website
- Staff Reporter: Award winning coverage of town governments, agriculture, food, arts, business and communities.
- Columnist: Weekly “Farm and Field”, featuring stories on local agriculture news and policy issues.
- Social Media: Contributed to newspaper’s social media initiative including creating Instagram account and original content.
- Television: Live contributor for WCVB Channel 5 coverage of Hurricane Sandy.
- New England Newspaper and Press Association Awards: First and second place awards for in-depth story series, social issues, obituary and general news:
- 1st Place: Burning the Candle to Make Ends Meet
- 1st Place: The Vineyard Shuffle: Twice a year Move is Way of Life
- 1st Place: Special Report on Coastal Erosion: On the Brink
- 2nd Place: Pat Gregory Remembered for His Kindness, Gentle Spirit
- 2nd Place: Double X Factor, This Lady Can Fish
- 2nd Place: Super-Sized Houses Are Talk of Towns
Media Production 2009-2015
Television and digital media
- Production Assistant/Associate Producer: Arise News live weekend morning show, Arise & Shine writing news blocks for broadcast, segment research, booking, pre-interview, travel coordination and administrative support.
- Production Assistant: NBC’s The Blacklist.
- Web-to-TV Development: Planet Forward Live (Washington, DC) Developed web-to-TV citizen journalism program on climate change, reducing carbon footprints and sustainable living. Pitched, produced, filmed and edited original multimedia videos for Planet Forward website and blog.
- Intern: Dateline NBC.
James Beard Award Winning The Beetlebung Farm Cookbook: Menus from a Year on the Farm
- James Beard Foundation: Book, Broadcast and Journalism Awards, American Cooking, 2016
- Marketing and Public Relations Assistant: Scheduling interviews, press events and coordinating media outreach with Little, Brown for cookbook by chef and 12th generation Island farmer Chris Fischer.
- Social Media: Developed and implemented social media strategy for cookbook and events promotion.
- Researcher: Researching historical archives, fact checking and conducting interviews for the cookbook.
George Washington University (Washington, DC) 2006-2010
- Bachelor of Arts in Art History, magna cum laude; minor in journalism
- Merit Scholarship Award Winner; Member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Ethical Culture Fieldston School (New York, NY) 1994-2006
- Copy editing/design: professional experience in MS Office programs, Adobe Photoshop, inDesign, iNews, Final Cut Pro
- Video editing and filming
- Still photojournalism
- Basic SEO and HTML experience
- Keynote Speaker: Martha’s Vineyard Women’s Symposium, 2013
- Baking: Best in Show, Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Fair adult baking competition, 2014